Garage door costs can vary greatly, depending on the size and material of garage door you choose. Here’s how to narrow down the price range of a new garage door by asking yourself a series of questions before you start your garage door search.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of your garage door opening?
3. What style of garage door do you want?
4. Do you want a garage door with windows?
5. What material do you want your garage door to be made from?
6. How much insulation do you need?
7. Are there any special features that you want?
Answering these questions will help you to determine how much you can expect to spend on a new garage door.
Average garage door cost in Southern California
Garage door costs in Southern California average around $4,000. What type of new garage door does $4,000 get you?
Size: two-car, 16′ wide x 7′ tall
Garage Door Material: steel
Garage Door Insulation: yes
R-Value: at least R-12
Garage Door Hardware: steel hinges and ball-bearing rollers
Custom Finish: no
Garage Door Installation: yes
Automatic Garage Door Opener: no
A few key takeaways from this average garage door cost
- If you’re building a home, a single two-car garage door costs less than two single-car garage doors. Each door requires hardware, as well as a garage door opener which increases the cost. Not to mention, you’ll need to pay for maintenance over the life of two garage doors, rather than one.
- Insulation increases the price of your garage door, but you may not need it. If your garage isn’t west facing or has shade cover, insulation may not provide the insulating benefit you expect. Also, Southern California is known for being 72 and sunny, so our more stable, moderate temperatures may reduce the need for insulation.
- Windows increase garage costs, so if you’re looking to spend less on a garage door, maybe skip the windows.
- Most new homes are building garages with an 8′ tall garage door for large trucks and suvs. Also, if you’re building a new home, choose the largest garage door your architect will approve because garage door sizing is difficult to alter once it’s built.
- The average cost of a new garage door is likely to increase in the coming years. Given the shortage of raw materials, increased demand for trucks, and the shortage of new housing, garage doors are likely to stay in vogue for years to come.
What size garage door do you need?
The size of the garage door you need will be one of the biggest factors in determining the cost. An average garage door for one car is usually around 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall. The average two-car garage can be up to 16′ x 8′ wide. Some garage doors are even bigger. Clopay’s Classic Steel Garage Doors are available up to 20 feet wide and 16 feet high.
What material do you want your garage door to be made from?
There are several different materials that garage doors can be made from, including wood, steel, and aluminum. Each material has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to choose the right one for your needs. Wood garage doors are the most expensive option, but they offer a classic look that can boost your home’s curb appeal. Wood garage doors made from cedar may require staining every 3 – 5 years. Steel garage doors are more affordable and durable, while aluminum garage doors are lightweight and easy to maintain. Metal garage doors like steel and aluminum require less maintenance than wood.
What style of garage door do you want?
There are many different styles of garage doors to choose from, including traditional, carriage house, and contemporary. The style you choose should complement the architecture of your home. Traditional garage doors are the most popular and affordable option, while carriage house garage doors add a touch of charm. Contemporary garage doors make a bold statement with their clean lines and unique designs that feature a lot of glass.
What garage door features do you want?
There are several features that garage doors can have, including windows, insulation, and custom finishes. Windows let natural light into your garage and can make it feel more spacious. On average, garage doors with windows cost between $100 and $400 more than garage doors without them. Insulation helps to keep your garage warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Polyurethane insulates better than polystyrene and provides a better R-Value but also increases the price of your garage door. Custom garage door finishes let you add a bit of personality and flair to your home’s largest opening. Decorative hardware like speak-easy windows, wrought-iron handles, and more are also available on the most popular garage door options.
What other costs are included when installing a new garage door?
An automatic garage door opener is required to operate your garage door. Garage door opener costs start at $500 and go up from there. The more expensive openers like the LiftMaster 84602include a battery backup, chain drive, and integrated led lighting can cost upwards of $800.
Additional remotes and external keypads are extra costs to think about when replacing your garage door.
Looking to save money on a new garage door?
There are three sure-fire ways to reduce costs when buying a new garage door.
- Buy an in-stock garage door. You’ll pay less for a standard garage door because the local garage door company bought them in bulk based on popularity. Call around to local garage door companies and ask them what styles and sizes they stock to get a good idea of what’s readily available.
- Install the garage door yourself. If you have experience and are mechanically inclined, you can install garage doors on your own. There are some special tools you’ll need to secure but it can be done. Full disclaimer – we do not recommend installing a garage door yourself, but if you’re pressed for money and have the skills, you can save a few hundred dollars.
- Re-use your existing track and opener. Existing doors are sure to find their way into the trash but depending on the type of garage door replacement, you may be able to keep the existing garage door hardware.
By asking yourself these questions, you can narrow down the price range of a new garage door and find the perfect one for your home. We have been helping homeowners and builders in Southern California choose the right garage door since 1989. We offer a wide selection of doors from popular and trusted brands, so you’re sure to find what you want for your home. Please contact us with questions.